Get ready to beat the summer heat and indulge your sweet tooth, because July 14th is National Creamsicle Day! This annual holiday celebrates the classic frozen treat combining creamy vanilla ice cream and refreshing orange sherbet. All across America, people enjoy tasty creamsicle desserts and drinks in honor of the cooling, nostalgic favorite.
History of Creamsicles
The unique dual-flavored creamsicle treat was invented in the 1920s by frozen novelty company Icy-O. However, it was officially trademarked as “Creamsicle” in 1959 by the popsicle company Good Humor. The term combined “cream” and “icicle” to perfectly encapsulate the ice cream and sherbet combo.
Good Humor had exclusive rights to the Creamsicle name until Unilever purchased their ice cream brands in the 1990s. Now other companies also produce creamsicle-style products, though use of the trademark itself is still limited. Thanks to both major brands and homemade recipes, people nationwide can now enjoy this orange and vanilla delight!
Celebrating on National Creamsicle Day
Part of the fun of food holidays is coming up with creative ways to enjoy the star ingredient. Here are some cool ideas for celebrating National Creamsicle Day:
- Enjoy an old-fashioned Creamsicle bar from the ice cream truck in your neighborhood. The classic treat just hits different!
- Make homemade Creamsicle pops by freezing orange juice and vanilla yogurt on sticks. Get the whole family involved.
- Blend up creamsicle smoothies with orange sherbet, milk, yogurt and a touch of vanilla. Top with an orange slice.
- Bake creamsicle cupcakes with orange glaze or mini Bundt cakes topped with orange zest.
- Incorporate Creamsicle flavors into cocktails, shakes, or even fruit salads for a pop of orange and cream.
- Host a Creamsicle tasting and rate frozen ones from different brands along with homemade variations.
- Get creative trying Creamsicle twists like dipped in chocolate, swirled with raspberry, or coated in crushed graham crackers.
- Enjoy creamsicle gelato, macarons, Rice Krispie treats, or whatever suits your favorite dessert style!
Part of what makes creamsicles so tasty is pairing the refreshing flavor of orange sherbet with the rich, creamy vanilla ice cream. Here is how these two key components stack up nutritionally:
- Contains vitamin C, calcium, some protein
- Lower in fat than ice cream, but higher in sugar
- Provides hydration from fruit juice content
Vanilla Ice Cream
- Packs protein, calcium, riboflavin, phosphorus
- Higher in fat from cream/milk ingredients
- Contains trace amounts of magnesium, zinc, and vitamin B12
While not the most nutritious dessert option, creamsicles offer a bit more nutritional value than straight sugar thanks to the dairy and citrus components. The two flavors balance each other nicely for the ideal summer treat!
Fun Creamsicle Variations
While original creamsicles with orange sherbet and vanilla ice cream can’t be beat, some exciting flavor variations to try include:
- Grapefruit Creamsicle – For a grapefruit sugar high!
- Strawberry or Raspberry Creamsicle – Creamy berries galore.
- Pineapple Creamsicle – Tropical and tangy.
- Lime Creamsicle – Zesty citrus flavor.
- Blue Raspberry Creamsicle – Vibrant sweet/tart combo.
- Banana Creamsicle – Perfect peanut butter pairing.
- Mint Chocolate Chip Creamsicle – Refreshingly cool.
Let National Creamsicle Day be an excuse to get creative with this classic summer dessert! However you choose to enjoy its iconic flavors, beat the heat with a tasty creamsicle treat.